Wednesday, May 21, 2008

When I grow up, I wanna be a nurse like...

Really, I can't pick just one that I want to emulate.
I have been a nurse for one year now. Nursing is a very challenging and frustrating job. I won't lie and tell you that it is so rewarding and how warm and fuzzy it feels to take care of someone. Of coarse, there are those feelings but there are just as many frustrating, make a girl feel really bad about herself, kinda feelings as well. It's the kind of job one would compare to the proverbial roller coaster ride. In the past year, there have been some nurses who've made my job so much better. These aren't the only nurses who've influenced me in the last year. They have just played the biggest roles. This isn't necessarily the order that they are held in my esteem, it's just the order that I happened to upload the pictures.
This is Annette. (On the right.) Annette happens to be our D.O.N. She was one of my clinical instructors in school. Annette has no ulterior motive. She is fair. She is calm. She thinks before she speaks.
This is Joyce. (a.k.a. Joycie) Joyce runs everywhere! If she forgot the I.V. tray in a patients' room at the end of the hall, she RUNS to get it. A couple of days ago, the pharmacy keys were locked in the pharmacy. I had to get the extra key from someone else so I ran to the ER. As I was running down the hall, I heard Joyce say, "Look, I taught her to run!" I've never been so proud. She also smiles. She smiles a lot! Joyce loves teaching. She's been named nurse of the year for the last two semesters by the local nursing class. She has the wisdom that only age can bring. She takes wonderful care of her patients.
This is Jan. Jan comes from the city. She's a Yankee. That's OK. I still love her! Jan works on the night crew. I miss the night crew with their messed up humor and crazy stories. Jan is the queen of stories. She can tell you about so many patients with different problems and disease processes. Jan also has the wisdom that living brings. I love her so much.
This is Tammy. She is the C.O.O. at our hospital. She started as an LPN and has worked her way up. The thing about Tammy is, she is always willing to help with anything. Not just come down to the floor and watch everybody work. No. She'll help start an IV. Help put a patient on the bed pan. Get a blanket. Give report so that a patient can be transferred. She just helps where it's needed. I want to always be like that. Tammy is a great nurse.

This is Mel. Well, actually Melanie but she's called Mel most of the time. I love her cheesy smile in this picture.
This is Mel's natural smile. OK, so she's younger than me but I can still wanna be like her when I grow up! Mel is mellow. I've only seen her get mad once. In the past few months we've gotten closer. I've always respected her and looked up to her as a nurse but the more time spent with Mel, I realize, she is one of the best nurses I know. She wants those around her to succeed. She truly has a servants heart.
All of these nurses have one major trait in common. They are nice. They don't intentionally try to put others down. They are self-assured. They don't need to try to bring others down in order to feel good about themselves. That is why, when I grow up, I wanna be like them!

3 comments:

Kim said...

You are so sweet!

Unknown said...

I'll never forget when Shawna went in for surgery and Joyce came to start her IV. I didn't know she had gone to nursing school. Needless to say I didn't want a shirt factory worker working on my baby. Then there is Mel, oh well she was babysat by the best. She is almost a niece. I have no doubt you will be a great nurse when you grow up. I guess you and Shawna are living my dream. I was going to be a nurse but G G came into the picture. In 39 years I've gone from a family of 2 to 11 or 13 counting Em and Ab. Life has been good to us.

Jeff and Mandee said...

How wonderful. You'll be all those things and more when you grow up. How long does it take to grow up? Just curious if I ever will... When I grow up I wanna be like you. Brave enough to follow any dream I want too!